This is a great recipe if you want a really substantial salad that is suitable for vegan and vegetarians.
I like making it for BBQs to give people something a little different to try.
1 ½ C Quinoa – you can try using any variety, there is white, red and black.
3C of vegetable stock
½ Tbsp cumin powder
3Tbsp olive oil
2C Kent pumpkin cut into small cubes
1 large Eggplant cut into small cubes
1 large Zucchini cut into small cubes
1 capsicum cut into small cubes
2Tbsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp cumin powder
1 brown onion sliced
5 garlic cloves whole and peeled
1 cup of basil leaves finely chopped
- Pre heat oven to 180C
- Wash quinoa thoroughly in cold water. Place quinoa, stock and cumin into a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook for approx 20 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed by the quinoa and the quinoa has started to change shape
- Get the eggplant, pumpkin, capsicum, onion, zucchini and garlic in a bowl toss with olive oil, paprika, salt and cumin.
- Place on vegetables on a baking tray and bake for 20-30 mins until all of the vegetables are cooked through.
- Once the quinoa and the vegetables are cooked toss them together along with the fresh basil.
- Serve with grilled meat or fish or even by itself.