Recently we had a dinner that I had promised I would make some Black Forest ice Cream for. I thought it would be really nice to to have a simple but decadent chocolate cake to go with it. Let the ice cream be the star but have a nice vehicle for it to go with so this recipe came about. It doesn’t need a lot of ingredients and you can have it baked and iced in an hour and a half. I also added some cinnamon but you could probably leave it out if you don’t love cinnamon.
Now for the recipe
Ingredients for the cake
- 200g butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup milk
Ingredients for the icing
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 20cm round cake pan. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until it all comes together.
- Sift flour, cocoa, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda together. Fold into butter mixture alternately with milk until well-combined. Spoon mixture into prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Allow to cool before icing.
- To make icing: Put chocolate, cream and cinnamon in a small heatproof bowl. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until mixture is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and spread over cake.
TA DA Done and dusted!!! Easy peasy!!!!
I’ll do up a post about my ice cream next. It was the Bomb Diggity.